Industrial Design is the practice of designing devices, objects, products that people use in their day-to-day lives. It primarily focuses on the functionality, physical appearance and manufacturability of a given product which could enhance its overall experience and value for its consumers.
Industrial Design can be pursued at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. It requires a common skill set including User Research, Visual Storytelling, Rapid Prototyping & Testing, Color, Materials & Finishes, Basic Engineering & Fabrication and so on. The key subjects that are taught in the Industrial Design courses are Design, technology, drawing, business etc. Those who have an interest in design, a passion for creating things and persistence to learn new things are suitable for the course.
Today, there are nearly 45,000 professional industrial designers in the country working in areas like Environments and Retail, Furniture, Consumer Electronics, Personal and Lifestyle, etc. What an Industrial Designer typically does is consult with clients to determine requirements for designs, create physical prototypes of their designs, evaluate product safety, appearance, and function to determine if a design is practical among other things. Experienced Industrial Designers often advance to the head of the design department or a chief designer with an average monthly salary of Rs 70,000. Scroll down to learn more about the course such as eligibility criteria, top colleges, job prospects, admission process, etc.
Industrial Design Course Benefits
- In terms of learning benefits, the Industrial Design course offers the scope of acquiring knowledge on design concepts and their related aspects. The candidates are introduced to digital skills, multimedia, graphic modelling, web design etc.
- Through the Industrial Design courses, candidates are prepared in the manner that they can easily explore a wide range of job opportunities available in the industrial design industry.
- India has top Industrial Design degrees that help professionals to achieve bright careers in the field of design.
- India’s job market has good scope for industrial design professionals. Getting a good job here depends on the colleges and courses. Most Industrial Design courses come with industry-oriented practical learning, which helps the candidates to be industry-ready in all aspects.
Industrial Design Skills Required
Candidates willing to learn about Industrial Design must enroll in an Industrial Design course. They should possess certain skills that will help them to acquire the learning at its best. Pointed below are some of the skills that aid to advance the process of learning in a great way:
- Creative Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Communication Skills
- Artistic Skills
- Understanding of Basic Design Tools
Industrial Design Career Options and Job Prospects
India has seen a growth in employment of Industrial designers by a significant percentage in recent years. The largest employers or recruiters of Industrial Designers include Manufacturing Companies, Wholesale trade, Specialized design services, Architectural, engineering, and related services. Careers or job profiles linked to Industrial Designing are the following:
- Art Directors
- Fashion Designers
- Industrial Engineers
- Interior Designers
- Graphic Designers
The average salary of a graduate in Industrial Design may range from Rs 30,000 to Rs 1,50,000 per month.